What is a belly belt? These devices are oftentimes referred to as a maternity belly belt or a pregnancy belly belt and have been designed for that “in-between stage” from just before you have your baby to just after giving birth. Your maternity pants are way too big to adjust and your regular pants are still uncomfortably tight around the middle. These belts are expandable, extremely stretchy, and can be worn beneath your shirts but over the waistband of your pants so that you are able to wear more clothes during this stage.
Benefits of wearing belly belts
Looking after yourself once you have given birth to your child is oftentimes overlooked and can result in suffering with back or body aches. Here are some benefits to wearing a belly belt during the in-between stage:
- Bloating due to water retention is decreased
- Discomfort is decreased and sometimes eliminated
- It provides comfort and support in the abdominal area after a caesarean
- Stretch marks are oftentimes decreased
- Swelling is minimized
- The healing process is accelerated
- Your uterus is repositioned
It also helps in the healing of the Diastasis Recti which is a separation of the rectus abdominus or ab muscles that results from the stretching of the abdominal area during pregnancy and child birth.
Not wearing belly belts could be a mistake
Many women who are about to have a baby or recently have oftentimes neglect to wear a belly belt for one reason or another. However, the following will explain why this could be a mistake in some situations:
- Choosing an improper size of maternity belly belt or pregnancy belly belt will have a negative impact on how the body changes during pregnancy influences your post pregnancy appearance and shape.
- It takes the abdominal area longer to heal after having a caesarean.
- Not wearing a maternity belly belt delays the healing process in the abdominal area.
- Wearing a belly belt is a tried, tested, and proven practice that is commonly used around the world because it is highly beneficial.
A word of warning
Whenever possible ignore the advertising hype and never purchase your belly belts from an overseas company or those that have been manufactured overseas. You’ll wind up paying exchange rates and some very exorbitant shipping costs as well. Finally, international countries are not very good at calculating belly belt sizes for consumers in most English-speaking countries.