Cocktail dresses for pregnant women
Although you may think it is going to be a confusing task, finding a maternity cocktail dress is not as difficult as you might think. Surprisingly, the colors, materials, sizes, and styles available today are just as current and fashionable as cocktail dresses for non-pregnant women. In so many words, the era of boring, plain maternity cocktail dresses is long gone.
Tips for finding the perfect maternity cocktail dress
Today’s pregnant woman does not have to look through racks of boring maternity dresses just to find one that compliments her shape. Choices also include maxi-maternity dresses for the plus size woman and maternity dresses for wedding guests at a dinner party. The following is a list of 5 tips to consider when shopping for the ideal maternity cocktail dress.
- First and foremost, stay away from the stereotypes. Just because you’re pregnant does not mean that you can’t wear that adorable strapless dress on the rack.
- Choose a midi-cut, shorter dress if you’re a bit on the short side as a longer gown won’t work.
- To be comfortable in your dress, choose a slightly bigger size for easier movement. More comfortable fabrics to choose from include chiffon, cotton, or organdy.
- A maternity cocktail dress with more elaborate and intricate details isn’t recommended as they will make you look plump and fuller.
- Thinner fabrics and dual-colored dresses are recommended. Compromising on color isn’t necessary as anything from pastels to dark navy’s are acceptable. Matching your skin tone is priority #1.
Most importantly, remember to choose a maternity cocktail dress that enhances and highlights that “glow” that you have throughout your pregnancy.
Don’t forget the accessories
Unless you just can’t live without wearing your heels, a pair of dressy flats is the best option. If you must wear heels, select a boxed, shorter heel. Fashionable cocktail jewelry will add a stylish highlight. For instance, a statement necklace is perfect for the dipping or plunging neckline. Finally, to create an eye-appealing style, build your look from the bottom layer up to the top.
A brief note on caring for your dress
Remember to follow the instructions on the care label explicitly. Depending on the fabric, you may be able to hand wash or machine wash your maternity cocktail dress. However, with some fabrics, dry cleaning is always the best option. Be sure to store your dress properly by hanging it and covering it with a protective plastic.